White Ribbon Day Week is Here!
Ready. Set. It’s White Ribbon Day this week and our Governor’s proclamation ceremony is just four days away. We look forward to seeing many of you on Thursday at the State House 1-2:30pm, followed by a reception. This year’s campaign focuses on Reimagining Manhood and we’ve got a terrific line up. The Wampanoag of Gay Head (Aquinnah) has generously offered to start the program with an Honor Song, and a roster of men will share how they are reimagining manhood.
Our collaborators - driven by the desire to be good role models for their sons, students, athletes, co-workers and peers - are speaking out, organizing in their communities and finding other creative ways to be part of the solution. In the past few weeks alone White Ribbon Day Campaign has made a significant impact here in MA:
• Co-Chair Peter Roby, Director of Sports and Recreation at Northeast University, was interviewed on WBPX, where he spoke with host Rod Morrison about his involvement in the campaign.
• Men’s Initiative Coordinator Craig Norberg-Bohm was featured on Urban Update on February 22nd where he spoke about White Ribbon Night Gala alongside HAWC's Executive Director Anthony DiPietro.
• Vilma Lora and Luis Martinez of the YWCA in Lawrence were interviewed on WUNR 1600 AM (on the NAMI Latina y la Communidad show), where they discussed White Ribbon Day.
• The Love Life Now Foundation hosted their fourth annual White Ribbon Gala Fundraiser for survivors of domestic and sexual violence this past Friday, at the Phillip's Banquet Hall.
• Wear Your Ribbon Thursdays has engaged our online community to show their WRD pride and encourage their peers to learn more.
In the weeks and months to come there will be even more WRD Campaign activity. Co-Chair DA David E. Sullivan will lead a pledge at the UMASS men’s basketball halftime event on March 6th. The Boston Celtics have proclaimed White Ribbon Day night at their home game March 16th. Communities all over MA join us by planning city and town proclamation events, providing access to resources at their information tables, and hosting fundraisers to support this work. Such outpouring of support is evidence of growing solidarity among men in Massachusetts.
Please wear your white ribbon on Thursday.Together let’s reimagine manhood.